Dr. Daljit Singh Cheema is current education minister of Punjab
. He was given the charge of education department in June 2014. He is a highly qualified person and has done M.B.B.S. from G.G.S. Medical College, Faridkot in 1985.
He is MLA from Ropar vidhan sabha constituency in Ropar district. He is associated with SAD. He was elected as MLA from this vidhan sabha seat in the elections held in 2012. He won by a margin of 8882 votes. Ramesh Dutt of Congress was the trailing candidate.
Earlier, he contested the lok sabha elections held in 2009 from Anandpur Sahib constituency, but lost from S. Ravneet Singh Bittu of congress.
He was Advisor to Chief Minister of Punjab
during the period 2007 to 2012, during the previous tenure of SAD-BJP government.
When SAD government elected to power in 2012, S. Sikander Singh Maluka was choosen as education minister of Punjab. He remained in the news mainly for the wrong reasons, including the irregularities in purchase of library books under central government grant of around 9 crore. Due to this, he was removed from the post of education minister and Dr. Daljit Singh Cheema was given the charge of this department in June 2014.
The official facebook and twitter page of Dr. Cheema is:
Official Facebook Page : www.facebook.com/daljitsinghcheema
Official Twitter Page : www.twitter.com/drdscheema
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
There are four directorates which function under the Punjab Education Department. These directorates are:
- Directorate of Public Instruction (Colleges)
- Directorate of Secondary Education
- Directorate of Primary Education
- Directorate of State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT)
Chief Parliamentary Secretary of Education Department
Inderbir Singh Bolaria is the chief parliamentary secretary of the Education department
. He is associated with SAD and is MLA from Amritsar South. He was elected as MLA from this vidhan sabha seat in the elections held in 2012. He won by a margin of 15056 votes. Jasbir Singh Dimpa of Congress was the trailing candidate.
Here it may be important to note that the education department, under the education minister of Punjab, is responsible for the school level education in the state. There are various other departments related to the eduction like higher education, technical education and medical education etc. Here is a list of such departments and their current ministers:
- Medical Education and Research - Sh. Anil Joshi is the minister for medical education and research. He belongs to BJP and is MLA from Amritsar North constituency in Amritsar district.
Mohinder Kaur Josh is the chief parliamentary secretary of this department.
- Higher Education and Languages - S. Surjit Singh Rakhra is the minister for higher education and languages. He belongs to SAD and is MLA from Samana constituency in Patiala district.
Avinash Chander is the chief parliamentary secretary of this department.
- Technical Education and Industrial Training - Sh. Madan Mohan Mittal is the minister of technical education and research. He is a senior leader belonging to BJP and is MLA from Anandpur Sahib vidhan sabha seat in Ropar district.
Amarpal Singh Ajnala is the chief parliamentary secretary of this department.
List of Previous Education Ministers of Punjab
A list of previous education ministers of Punjab is given below:
- Dr. Daljit Singh Cheema (SAD) - 2014
- Sikander Singh Maluka (SAD) - 2012
- Sewa Singh Sekhwan (SAD) - 2010
- Dr. Upinderjit Kaur (SAD) - 2007
- Khushal Behl (Congress) - 2002
- Tota Singh (SAD)- 1997
Education Minister of India
In India, the education department comes under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) and there are two main departments under it - Department of School Education and Literacy, Department of Higher Education. Prakash Javadekar, a BJP leader and Rajya Sabha member from Madhya Pradesh, is the minister of this department i.e. Minister of Human Resource Development, Government of India. You may simply say that Prakash Javadekar is the education minister of India
He was given the incharge of this ministry in July 2016. When the current BJP government came to power in May 2014, Smriti Zubin Irani, a BJP leader and Rajya Sabha member from Gujarat, was the minister of this department.
Do you know that who was the first education minister of India (after independence)? Maulana Abul Kalam Azad was the first education minister of independent India. He was a senior leader of Indian National Congress and was famous independence activist.