Smt. Aruna Chaudhary, a Congress MLA from Dina Nagar, is the current education minister of Punjab
. She was given the charge of education department in March 2017, when Congress party came into power and formed the government in Punjab with Capt. Amarinder Singh as its Chief Minister. Her education qualification is Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.).
She is a Minister of State having independent charge of the School Education department. She is also the incharge of Higher Education & Languages department.
She is an MLA from Dina Nagar constituency in Gurdaspur district. In the current elections held in March 2017, she won the elections from Dina Nagar constituency with a margin of 31917 votes and B.D. Dhupal of BJP was the trailing candidate.
She has represented the same constituency as MLA in 2002 and 2012 also. Being a 3rd time MLA, she is a senior leader and hence inducted as a minister in the current govt.
Smt. Aruna Chaudhary - Personal Details
Aruna Chaudhary was born on April 16, 1957 and her age is 60 years. She is married to Ashok Kumar Chaudhary. She belongs to an affluent political family and her father-in-law was a four time MLA in the Punjab Vidhan Sabha
Her current residence address is VPO Awakhan, Tehsil & Distt. Gurdaspur. Her contact numbers are - 9914800007, 9814072678. The link to her personal facebook id is - Aruna Chaudhary Facebook
There are four directorates which function under the Punjab Education Department. These directorates are:
- Directorate of Public Instruction (Colleges)
- Directorate of Secondary Education
- Directorate of Primary Education
- Directorate of State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT)
Here it may be important to note that the education department, under the education minister of Punjab, is responsible for the school level education in the state. There are various other departments related to the eduction like higher education, technical education and medical education etc. Here is a list of such departments and their current ministers:
- Medical Education and Research - Brahm Mohindra of Congress party is the minister of this department. He is one of the senior most leaders of Punjab Congress and is MLA from Patiala Rural constituency in Patiala district.
- Higher Education and Languages - Smt. Aruna Chaudhary is the incharge of this department also.
- Technical Education and Industrial Training - Charanjit Singh Channi is the minister of this department. He is associated with Congress party and currenty represents the Chamkaur Sahib constituency in Ropart district.
List of Previous Education Ministers of Punjab
A list of previous education ministers of Punjab is given below:
- Dr. Daljit Singh Cheema (SAD) - 2014
- Sikander Singh Maluka (SAD) - 2012
- Sewa Singh Sekhwan (SAD) - 2010
- Dr. Upinderjit Kaur (SAD) - 2007
- Khushal Behl (Congress) - 2002
- Tota Singh (SAD)- 1997
Education Minister of India
In India, the education department comes under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) and there are two main departments under it - Department of School Education and Literacy, Department of Higher Education. Prakash Javadekar, a BJP leader and Rajya Sabha member from Madhya Pradesh, is the minister of this department i.e. Minister of Human Resource Development, Government of India. You may simply say that Prakash Javadekar is the education minister of India
He was given the incharge of this ministry in July 2016. When the current BJP government came to power in May 2014, Smriti Zubin Irani, a BJP leader and Rajya Sabha member from Gujarat, was the minister of this department.
Do you know that who was the first education minister of India (after independence)? Maulana Abul Kalam Azad was the first education minister of independent India. He was a senior leader of Indian National Congress and was famous independence activist.