How many tehsils in Punjab? After the creation of three new tehsils Kalanaur, Dudhan Sadhan & Bhawanigarh in December 2016, there are total 87 tehsils in Punjab and 82 sub-tehsils. Before this, a new tehsil Ahmedgarh (Sangrur) was formed in November 2016.
For civil administrative purpose, the state of Punjab is divided into 5 divisions, these divisions are divided into 22 districts and the districts of Punjab are further divided into sub-divisons (tehsils).
Some of the latest changes to the tehsils and sub-tehsils in Punjab are given below in the reverse chronological order:
- Three new tehsils Kalanaur (Gurdaspur), Dudhan Sadhan (Patiala) & Bhawanigarh (Sangrur) were created in December 2016. A notification for this was issues on 14th Dec 2016. These three were earlier sub-tehsils.
- Ahmedgarh in Sangrur district was upgraded from sub-tehsil to tehsil with effect from November 2016 and a notification in this regard was issued in October 2016 by the Revenue department of Punjab govt.
- Majitha tehsil, situated in Amritsar district, was formed in September 2016. Earlier it was a sub-tehsil in the same district. This is part of the Majitha assembly constituency and the all powerful revenue minister Bikram Singh Majithia is the MLA from this constituency.
- Maur in district Bathinda is the new addition to the list of tehsils.
- Zirakpur in Mohali district is the newly created sub-tehsil.
- Banur sub-tehsil was earlier in Patiala district and now it is shifted to Mohali.
Is there any difference between Tehsil and Sub-Division?
In Punjab, we can say that there is no difference between a tehsil and a sub-divison. Every tehsil of Punjab is also a sub-divison and vice versa. They share the same boundary.
But this is not the case for all states of India. You are reading this page on punjab data dot com. The tehsils and sub-divisons are different in some states of India.
In general, districts are divided into Sub-Divisions for the civil administration purpose. A Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) is the officer incharge of a sub-divison and is selected from the State Civil Services (like Punjab Civil Services or PCS) cadre.
In most of the states, the sub-divisions are further divided into Tehsils or Talukas for the purpose of land records and revenue. The revenue officer, who is incharge of a tehsil is called as "Tehsildar".
Frequently asked questions:
QUESTION - Total how many tehsils are there in Punjab?
The number of tehsils in Punjab is 87.
QUESTION - How many total sub tehsils are there in Punjab?
The total number of sub tehsils in Punjab is 82.
QUESTION - Which district has the highest number of tehsils?
The district Sangrur has the maximum number of tehsils. There are total 8 tehsils in Sangrur.
By Sukhminder Singh